Geology Experience - Darrel Dunn, Ph.D., PG
Consulting Geologist and Hydrologist, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Available for geologic and hydrologic consulting and contract work (see my Professional Synopsis).
My geology work experience includes:
- Independent consulting geologist.
- University teaching at assistant and associate professor levels
- Petroleum geologist for major oil company
Places of Geologic Work
Performed geologic (non-hydrologic) work in the following states and provinces:
- Saskatchewan, Canada
- Alberta, Canada
Types of Geologic Work
The following content shows types of geology work that I have done, with one or more examples for each type. The list is not exhaustive and the examples are not all-inclusive.
- Explored for petroleum in Colorado (Denver-Julesburg Basin, NW Colorado, Colorado Plateau), Wyoming (DJ Basin), Utah, Nevada, Illinois, Saskatchewan, and Alberta for a major oil company. This work included well log interpretation, reservoir mapping, surface and subsurface geologic mapping, stratigraphy, hydrodynamic analysis of petroleum systems, and well site operations.
- Assessed earthquake hazard at a proposed mine site.
Slope Stability and Landslide Hazard
- Estimated slope stability at proposed real estate subdivisions.
- Served as expert witness on the effect of irrigation on landsliding and testified in court.
- Assessed the stability of slopes near a proposed mine in a mountainous area.
Snow Avalanche Hazard
- Assessed snow avalanche hazard along an access road at a proposed mine in a mountain valley.
Coal Resource Assessment
- Assessed value of coal resources on a ranch.
Statistics in Geology
- Performed statistical analyses of stable isotope data on methane from different geological provinces in California. Click here and go to "California Methane Stable Isotope Data Analysis."
- Published paper on "Probability of Anomalies on Contour Maps."
- Performed a statistical analysis to see if sub-species of a fossil species were significantly different. (Honors thesis for geology bachelors degree.)
- Petroleum exploration in Saskatchewan and Alberta, Canada.
University Teaching - Geology
University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio (Associate Professor)
- Environmental Geology
- Geology for Engineers
Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana (Assistant Professor)
- Historical Geology
University of Illinois, Champaigne/Urbana (Instructor)
- Stratigraphy Laboratory
- Historical Geology Laboratory
Available for geologic and hydrologic consulting and contract work. For more information, feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.